again with the random patience at 2 in the a.m.
; - ;
|diariesofatransman: Tips and advice for a guy about to start T?|
- Take pictures. I frequently wish I would’ve taken more pictures of my body when I was pre-T so that I could see the comparisons now. I share a lot of my body comparisons here on tumblr but you aren’t obligated to do that. Having these pictures to compare with can help immensely on the days when you feel like nothing has changed whatsoever and you feel hopeless. You’ll appreciate these pictures so very much.
- Take voice recordings. Just like with pictures, you’ll grow to appreciate in some sense what your voice was like in the early stages of transition. You’ll appreciate it because you can do comparisons and show yourself that you are not that same person anymore.
- Don’t compare your changes to everyone else. Bodies react differently to testosterone, to doses, etc.
- Try not to have a lot of expectations about what changes you will and will not have. I know it’s hard to not be idealistic here and a lot of fantasies of “my voice will sound like this at 6 months!” or “I will have a beard by 1 years!” because you’re going to end up disappointed. Some changes are going to take a long time to come, others won’t be as severe as you thought it would be, and others might be much more severe than you thought. It’s going to be beneficial for you to simply sit back and allow whatever happens to happen. Remember that you’re going through puberty and that this is a multiple year long process. You may have a beard by 4 months, you may have one at 4 years, you may never grow one.
- Be patient. The changes will come.
- Do not increase your dose without consulting your doctor. Sometimes you may feel impatient and may consider increases your dose with the idea that a higher dose = faster changes, but this is incorrect and can be incredibly dangerous. Stay with the dose you are prescribed and always consult a doctor if you feel your dose needs to be raised/lowered.
- Recognize that testosterone isn’t going to solve all of your problems. I’ve talked with a few others about this before. We all had the expectations that our lives were going to be amazing when we started hormones, that it was going to solve our problems, that one day we’d wake up happy. And we waited. The months went by, the changes happened, and we still waited for the day when we’d be truly happy. But it doesn’t just come to you. Testosterone will help a lot and can improve your quality of life, but it doesn’t fix everything. It saved my life but I also had to start working to make my life more worth living in other ways.
- Take time to yourself and realize that you might be more irritable for awhile as you’re adjusting to these new feelings
- Recognize that you may have days where you don’t recognize yourself and that that’s okay. Small things can change and some days you’ll look in the mirror and realize that your face isn’t what you remembered it was. These times can be a little scary, but take a few moments to recognize that this is still you and that it’s okay.
- Do not use testosterone as an excuse for lashing out as people, for being sexually aggressive, etc. It can make people more irritable and can increase your sex drive but this is never an excuse for behaviors such as that. Be responsible, be accountable, and regulate your emotions or do what you need to take care of yourself in ways that do not harm others. Testosterone doesn’t make you an asshole but for some people they use that as an excuse.
- Find people to talk to that are in similar places as yourself when it comes to hormones. It is incredibly helpful to have a small support system and group of friends that can all understand the things you’re experiencing. I am always open to talking with anyone as well, even if we may be in different places.
Fake smiles control me basically …
(Translation via a Korean friend)
Classic!Vergil: You rascals! Go out and play!
Dantes/Nero: D… Daddy!?
Reboot!Vergil: Oh, these clothes are getting all wrinkled… couldn’t you guys tidy up when you’re playing?
(Reboot!Vergil apparently speaks with a heavy ‘hick’ accent, at odds with his appearance.)
친절하게 번역을!?!? 감사합니다8ㅅ8